There are few puppy breeds cuter than a baby Shar-Pei, but behind that sweet, wrinkley face is a powerful, proud, dominant nature. This specific breed of pup is a one-man dog, although the animal will extend his protection to the rest of the family and pets when brought into the home and raised properly.
Scroll down for videos
Most of the time, strangers that haven’t been approved by the pups owner will be met with a deep growl and possibly something a bit more physical if the person doesn’t take the hint. Shar-Peis are bred and used as protection dogs in China so you can only assume how tough they could be!
After facing the frightening possibly of extinction in 1983, the Chinese Shar-Pei made a come back! Believe it or not, fashion saved the breed. The catalog Neiman Marcus, named the dog the ultimate “his and her” dream gifts, offering a duo of Shar Pei pups for a staggering $2,000!
Some other fun little facts about this scrunchy-faced canines:
- The name Shar-Pei means “sand-skin.”
- No other type of dog has the same short, rough, almost prickly coat of the Shar-Pei.
- A Shar-Pei is a poor choice as a “first family dog” or first dog for a child.
- A Shar-Peiis known to become housebroken faster than most dogs because of it’s natural cleanliness.
- The Shar-Pei puppy would always rather be with a human than another dog.
- Those famous wrinkles on these little dudes aren’t just for show. They need to be taken care of properly because the dog is prone to skin infection.
- Like other flat-faced dogs, the Shar-Pei is known to over heat easily and needs more water than the average pup.
So. Many. Wrinkles!!!
Check out these videos
Want to know more about dogs? Read this 20 Rarest Breeds of Dogs Used as Pets