The Chocolate Poke Cake with Pourable Frosting is indeed among the easiest chocolate cake recipes of all time. With only a few ingredients and some easy-to-follow steps, baking one is definitely worth the time. Its great chocolaty flavor even makes it a great choice for any occasion, may it be an anniversary or a birthday. Check out the recipe below:
Scroll down for videos
For the Cake:
- 2 pcs. eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cooled brewed coffee
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1-3/4 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
For the Chocolate Pudding Layer:
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2-1.4 cups milk
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- pinch of salt
For the Frosting:
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
For the cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then grease and flour a 9×13 baking pan.
2. Mix milk and lemon. Set aside until it thickens slightly.
3. In a large bowl, mix sugar, baking soda, baking powder, flour, and cocoa.
4. Add soured milk, vanilla, oil, coffee and eggs. Mix at medium speed for about 2 minutes. When done, pour it into the greased and floured pans.
5. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. To check, inset toothpick into the center. When it comes out clean, it’s done.
For the Chocolate Pudding:
1. Mix cocoa powder, salt, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan.
2. Add in cold milk and mix until a smooth mixture is achieved.
3. Stir at medium hit until mixture comes to a boil.
4. While stirring, allow to boil for another 1 minute and then remove from heat.
5. Stir in butter.
6. Stir occasionally for five minutes to let it cool.
7. Poke the cake all over using the end of a wooden spoon. Pour it over the warm cake.
8. Cover and chill overnight.
For the Frosting:
1. In a saucepan, mix butter, sugar, and milk over medium heat.
2. Bring to a boil and let it boil for 45 seconds.
3. Remove from heat and top with chocolate chips.
4. Mix until smooth and then pour over the cake.