Surgeons Remove 263 Coins

A Human Coin Bank: Surgeons Remove 263 Coins, 100 Nails from Man’s Stomach

,

Now here’s a stomach-churning headline.

Doctors operating on a man in India are stunned to find that the patient has swallowed a bunch of metal pieces. Surgeons remove 263 coins and 100 nails from the 35-year-old’s stomach, who is initially admitted after he complained of severe stomach pain. But what is suspected to be a case of simple food poisoning has taken a bizarre and somewhat gruesome turn.

Surgeons Remove 263 Coins, 100 Nails from Patient in India

When 35-year-old Maksud Khan was admitted to a local hospital in his hometown of Satna, Madhya Pradesh, India, mounds of metal and nickel was the last thing doctors ever expected to find.

But that was exactly what they discovered after conducting an endoscopy exam on Khan. The test, which makes use of a flexible tube to view the digestive exam, revealed a treasure trove of metal objects. During the surgery, surgeons removed 263 coins, 100 nails, dozens of shaving blades, shards of glass, and a 6-inch rusted iron shackle. Altogether, the foreign objects measured a total of 15 lbs (7 kilograms).

Scroll down for the video

Coins Found Inside the Stomach

“We were shocked to discover that [there were] coins, nails and nut-bolts in his stomach,” Dr. Priyank Sharma, of Sanjay Gandhi Hospital in Madhya Pradesh, India, told The Independent. Sharma added that this had been the first time in her career to ever encounter such case.

Turns out, Khan suffers from a medical condition known as pica. This type of eating disorder is characterized by consumption of substances that are not considered as food and have no nutritional value. Anyone suffering from pica can eat anything from dirt, chalk, bones, paint, or in Khan’s case, metal objects. The dangers stem from the substances ingested. For instance, dirt contains dangerous microbes that pose a health hazard. One could risk piercing vital organs when they consume metal rods too.

The case is similar to one that happened last year, where a French man was discovered to have ingested more than 100 metal pieces including coins and nails. Another case of pica was recorded in 2016 when a 42-year-old man swallowed around 40 knives.

It should be noted that consumption of weird substances isn’t considered a case of pica unless the ingestion of dangerous things happens for at least a month. Nonetheless, anyone who eats dirt or metal should be given thorough medical attention.

Watch the video below