Pimples are perhaps one of the biggest skin problems that a lot of people really gripe about. However, these breakouts are actually quite normal and affect quite a number of teenagers and adults alike. They’re skin inflammations that occur when the sebaceous or oil glands are infected with bacteria.
When the oil glands secrete an excessive amount of sebum or oil, it is common for pimples to pop out all over your face. However, when they do break out, they are not limited only to your facial features, but can also appear on your neck, shoulders, and even your back. Although considered only as a minor skin condition, pimples can still cause huge self-esteem issues.
While there may be several skin care products available on the market to combat these pimple breakouts, some of them can cause mild to severe allergic reactions. There are simple remedies though that can help clear away this skin problem fast and easy. And, the good thing is, you can do them at home.
To get rid of those pimples fast, here are the top ten sure fire ways on how you can do it.
Ice can be used to quickly reduce the redness, swelling, and inflammation of pimples. It not only helps in improving blood circulation, but also assists in tightening the skin pores and removing dirt and oil accumulated on the skin. Here’s how to properly apply the ice on the affected area:
- Wrap the ice in a piece of cloth and hold it on the affected skin area for a few seconds.
- Wait a few minutes and repeat the process.
Lemon juice is another effective ingredient to get rid of pimples. It is rich in Vitamin C and its juice helps dry pimples up faster. There are two ways you can apply the lemon juice on your skin.
- Dip a clean cotton swab in fresh lemon juice and apply it to the pimples before going to bed.
- You can also mix one tablespoon of lemon juice with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and put it on the pimples overnight. In the morning, wash the skin well with lukewarm water. However, this particular remedy is not suitable for those with sensitive skin.
Who knew toothpaste could be a lifesaver? Aside from giving you fresh breath, toothpaste helps in drying up pimples fast as well. It is effective when used after treating the affected area with ice. White toothpaste is recommended for this rather than gel toothpaste.
- Apply some white toothpaste over the affected skin area before going to bed.
- In the morning, wash your face with water and you will see a significant improvement in the swelling.
If you wish, you can repeat the process in the daytime as well. Just make sure to allow the toothpaste to remain on your pimples for at least half an hour.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is excellent for treating acne and pimples. It has antibacterial properties that help fight the bacteria that cause these skin problems. It also has soothing properties that help reduce the redness and inflammation of the pimples. Plus, it helps in drying out stubborn blackheads and whiteheads.
Note: This is not recommended for people with sensitive skin.
- Just dip a cotton ball in tea tree essential oil and dab it on the affected area. Rinse your face after 15 to 20 minutes.
- Another option is to mix a few drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel. Apply it on your pimples and blemishes, leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off.
Garlic is an antiviral, anti-fungal, antiseptic, and antioxidant agent that can help in the fast treatment of pimples. The sulfur in garlic also promotes quick healing of the inflamed skin area.
- Cut a fresh garlic clove into two pieces.
- Rub the garlic on the pimples and leave it for five minutes, before washing the skin with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the treatment several times a day.
Eating one raw garlic clove daily can also help purify your blood. However, consuming it in excess can cause an upset stomach.
Steaming is wonderful for your skin at any time, especially when you have breakouts. The steam will open your pores and allow your skin to breathe. This gets rid of oils, dirt and bacteria trapped in the pores that can cause infection or inflammation.
- Fill a large container with hot water and allow the steam to come in contact with your face for a few minutes.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water and, after drying, apply an oil-free moisturizer.
The sweet honey is an excellent source of natural antibiotics that can speed up the healing process and prevent further infection of pimples.
- Dip a clean cotton swab in honey, put it directly on the affected area, and leave it on for half an hour.
- Wash the skin well with lukewarm water.
- Do this a few times a day.
You can also apt to mix honey and cinnamon together to make a paste. Apply it over the pimples before going to bed. In the morning, there will be less inflammation or swelling. Wash your skin well with cold water.
8. Baking Soda
Baking soda is another effective home remedy to get rid of pimples because it helps exfoliate the skin to remove excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells.
- Make a thick paste by mixing one teaspoon of baking soda with some water or lemon juice.
- Wash your skin well, leaving it slightly damp. Apply the paste on the affected areas and allow it to dry for a few minutes. Never keep baking soda on your skin for longer than a few minutes as it can cause dryness or irritation.
- Wash your face with warm water.
- Repeat the process twice a day for quick results.
Papaya fruit has a number of properties that help in the treatment of pimples. It is a good source of the antioxidant vitamin A and it has enzymes that help reduce inflammation and make your skin soft and smooth.
- Crush raw papaya pieces to extract its juice and apply it over the pimples. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
- To make an exfoliating face mask, mash some papaya pieces and add a little honey. Apply this paste on your face and massage gently. Leave it on until it dries completely and then rinse it off.
Cucumber is a rich source of potassium and vitamins such as A, C, and E. It also has a cooling and soothing effect on the skin.
- Cut one or two fresh cucumbers into pieces and soak them in water for about an hour. The nutrients, such as vitamin A, potassium and chlorophyll will transfer to the water.
- Strain the water and drink it, or use the water to wash your face.
You can also make a face mask by grinding one cucumber. Apply the mask on your face and allow it to dry for 15 minutes. After, wash your skin with warm water. This will help get rid of dirt and bacteria from your pores.
Check out other related articles below: