A teenager named Amy Thomson, 16, from Glasgow, Scotland, fell into a coma for weeks because her left brain got damaged after taking a single MDMA pill at a party in June 2015.
Scroll down for video
Because of a single pill of the drug, she had to endure painful physical side effects. The teen went through numerous medical processes to return to her normal state. After a long time, she woke up but found herself unable to walk. With the help of her medical team, Amy made it her first goal to get out of her wheelchair. Earlier this year, it was reported that she was able to take her first few steps.
Her mother, Tricia, other family members, and her friends revealed Amy’s hope for 2016 on a post on an online support page for her. It reads,
“Amy still in her chair but walked 30 yards before the holidays. A machine supports her upper body while her legs walk the walk.She said it feels like having her heart ripped out as it’s so painful but she will keep working hard as walking is her main goal. Amy is well and enjoying the extended break from rehab—2015 is behind us now and it’s taught us a lot.”
Last year, the family also released a video of Amy thanking everyone who showed her support. She also grabbed the opportunity to highlight the awful effects ecstasy brings to the human body. The video went viral, and Amy received a bunch of heartwarming messages from people around the world.
That night in June, it wasn’t just Amy who took the drugs. There were three other girls who had to be taken to the hospital along with her for the same reason. But it was Amy who suffered the worst effects. While the other three were told they could already go home, Amy was in a critical condition.
This incident served as a cautionary tale for teens and a reminder for them to be mindful of what they take and drink. The youth should be fully aware of the effects drugs have on the human body.
Unfortunately , in Scotland, crystallized ecstasy capsules are still sold, but police and doctors have always been active in raising awareness about the dangers of drugs.
The support group set up for Amy on Facebook recently posted a caution about drug addiction addressed to the youngsters. It says, “There’s nothing recreational about Amy’s recovery. We would like our precious young people to consider that before taking any drugs or so-called legal highs.”