Vipers are classified as one of the world’s most deadliest snakes. This is because they have venom in their body that can easily kill a human being. So when the roles were reversed, this shocking story became viral.
Lorenzo, a 17-month-old baby from Brazil, was his own hero when a viper threatened his life. The baby had been playing with the family dog in the backyard of his own home when his mother, Jaine Ferreira Figueira decided to check on him. By the time she got to him, he already had a snake on his mouth and blood was all over his clothes and hands.
Jaine initially feared that her toddler was bitten. After instinctively putting the snake in a jar, she and her husband Lucier hurriedly took young Lorenzo to the nearest hospital which was 175 kilometers from their own home.
Thankfully, the doctors just cleared him out after finding no traces of venom in his system. To the shock of the whole team, it was little Lorenzo who killed the snake. After further investigation, they ruled out the possibility of their dog killing it.
“He bit the pit viper very close to the head which eventually immobilized the snake and prevented it from biting him,” Dr. Gilmar Carteri declared. The snake was classified as a pit viper which is commonly found in South American countries. The effects of its venom can cause hemorrhage or kidney failure, and the fatality rate is high if not treated immediately.
We may not find out if Lorenzo was exhibiting basic self-defense instincts or if he merely thought it was a toy to play with. But generally, people are leaning towards the theory that humankind survives on basic instinct kicking in when faced in a life or death situation. Either way, this is truly a shocking turn of event.