If you are looking for a healthy yet delectable food to serve on your next party, then this Pumpkin Bar with Kahlua and Cream Frosting recipe is for you. These pumpkin bars are at the top of its game. You can add a twist to this traditional pastry to make you look like a chef in a five-star hotel.
Here are the reasons you’ll want to try this out:
- The moisture and texture are great, despite the fact that some ingredients were swapped.
- The shelf life is longer than you’d expect. They can last for a day without going bad.
- There is no difference between thawed frozen bars and freshly made ones.
- Good dessert to have on any occasion, due to its versatility. It goes well with any ingredient.
Steps in Making Pumpkin Bars with Kahlua & Cream Frosting
Servings: 48 small or 24 large
For the Bars:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or 1 cup regular whole wheat flour plus 1 cup white flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 15-ounce can pureed pumpkin
For the Frosting:
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua liqueur
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder or coffee granules
- 12 oz. cream cheese (1-1/2 8-oz. blocks), room temperature
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ground cinnamon for dusting top
Click here for a recipe of the pumpkin pie spice if you want to make one of your own instead of purchasing from stores.
Step 1: Mix all dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
Step 2: Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl.
Step 3: Add sugar, oil, applesauce, and pumpkin into the whisked eggs and then mix.
Step 4: Pour the dry ingredients into the mixture and whip it up until it’s properly mixed.
Step 5: In a baking pan, spread a baking sheet to prevent sticking.
Step 6: Bake the batter at 350 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes. Cool them first before adding the frosting.
Make the frosting while waiting for the bars to cool.
Step 1: Microwave the Kahlua for approximately 30 seconds. Dissolve the instant espresso/coffee granules in the microwaved Kahlua then set aside.
Step 2: After cutting the cream cheese into chunks, mix it with butter using a mixer.
Step 3: Pour in powdered sugar and mix well.
Step 3: Get the cooled Kahlua mixture and add it into the bowl. Stir.
Step 4: Spread the frosting accordingly on the cooled bars.
Step 5: To top it up, sprinkle grounded cinnamon using a wire mesh strainer.
You can refrigerate or freeze the finished frosted bars until serving time. It is also advisable to use domed lids to preserve the frosting.
Before serving, you must first take off the lid and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes (refrigerated) or 60 minutes (frozen).
The frosting plays a huge role in this recipe.
You can substitute Kahlua and coffee for 1-1/2 teaspoons of vanilla, if you prefer the plain cream cheese frosting.
Enjoy this wonderful treat with great company!
Check out related videos in making Pumpkin Bars here:
Want more recipes? Check out these related articles: